Sunday, March 22, 2009

Good thing we didn't register

I often look back at our 14 years together and think to myself, it's good thing I didn't register for my dishes, silverware or stuff like before we got married. Josh and I got married young, we were both babies and didn't have the faintist idea about registering, we were just so excited we were getting married that we didn't even care. A few years later, we decided to go get matching everything, plates, cups, silverware. We spent hours in the stores, argueing on this thing or that thing. It seemed anything I liked, he hated and vica versa. I yelled, he huffed, it was all very dramatic and finally, FINALLY we picked out matching stuff.

Well this has come again. But now with our furniture. Our furniture is trashed, I mean stains that won't come out, no matter how much I scrub, back sewn pillows completely torn off and the wood under is now starting to break as well. It is TIME for new furniture. We went shopping for furniture, and we left the store not talking to eachother. We look online at website, and I end up screaming at him and he ends up ignoring me and going to bed. We are so different in our design style, that it's amazing we have anything decorated at all in our house. We each "endure" the others style, while sneakingly adding touches of our own personal style while the other one is not looking.

My biggest problem with Josh, is that the decision, I think, should come down to me, I'm the homemaker, I'm the one in the house the longest amount of time, I am the one people look at when thinking of decorating a house, not him, so why does he get even half the say???? WHY??? Does anyone out there know?

6 comments:

  1. Oh girl, it is good to see that we have the SAME issue! Paul just smiles and nods now! However, I'm so glad that Josh is home for GOOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the answer for you, but unfortunately, I don't. I tend to agree with you on the point about you being the homemaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decorated when I had no children or very young children (the first couple) but now that there are 5 children I have junk here, junk there. Maybe when they are all grown...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just redecorated while Russ was deployed. So he didn't have a whole lot of input into it. He doesn't really care anyway and we kind of both like the same style stuff. Can't help you on that. But maybe look for something really neutral and you both can add splashes of your taste here and there. It just might work, but let Josh think it was his idea. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris and I are often the same way. I just let him do what he wants mostly. It just makes life easier. Need I remind people I had a purple and green plaid couch. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly where you are coming from Mandy! We are that way also. And now with this last move, I had to work 6 days straight two weeks in a row as we were moving in, I had finals in my 2 classes, etc.etc. etc., so now we are moved in, with not too many boxes left to unpack, and since I've been so tied up and not home much, he decided to be helpful and hang artwork, decide where things go, etc. and guess what? They're not where I would have put them, so when I'm not happy about it, it makes me sound ungrateful, which I wasn't, just that I want certain themes in each room and I want the house to flow with the decor, not be mismatched...and I thought moving is a great time to get rid of things that don't go with my theme.....another thing is, when I say I wanted a new refrigerator, new living room furniture and washer and dryer (not all at the same time) he went and got them and had them delivered and I come home to find them without even the chance to choose colors, type, style etc. I mean I like them, but I would have chosen some of it different, or at least would have liked the chance to choose. when he truly thought he was doing it to make me happy because I had complained of the old fridge, furniture, washer/dryer. Anyway, I am grateful to him for trying and he actually did pretty good, but I want to feel like I'm doing my job as Mom, wife, home-maker! He works at home, so he tends to be a bit more involved in the home-making decisions than most men. Oh well, I am grateful for him and I try to focus on that he just tries to make me happy:) Good luck with choosing furniture....

    ReplyDelete